School Counseling at Holy Names Academy
Adolescence is a time of tremendous growth with unique challenges. Holy Names Academy recognizes the importance of support services for our students. We have four full-time counselors. Two Academic Mentors focus on academic and personal counseling, and two College Counselors assist students with the college admissions process.
Academic Mentors advocate for students’ success and well-being by working collaboratively with students, parents, teachers, and administrators. Recognizing the developmental changes and needs of adolescence, they provide the following services:
- Academic support, including study skills, time management, and organization.
- Coordination of accommodations plans for students with documented learning disabilities and/or health issues.
- Personal counseling that is brief and solution-focused; referrals for longer-term needs.
- Tutoring, either by connecting students with a peer tutor or providing referrals for outside, professional tutors.
- Peer Mentoring program, an opportunity for 11th and 12th graders to develop leadership skills by assisting 9th graders in their transition to high school.
- Coordinating pre-arranged absences for family vacations or other trips that cannot be scheduled during school holidays.
- Advanced Placement program coordination.