School Counseling at Holy Names Academy
Adolescence is a time of tremendous growth with unique challenges. Holy Names Academy recognizes the importance of support services for our students. We have four full-time counselors: two School Counselors focus on academic and personal counseling, and two College Counselors assist students with the college admissions process.
The School Counselors advocate for students’ success and well-being by working collaboratively with students, parents, teachers, and administrators. Recognizing the developmental changes and needs of adolescence, they provide the following services:
- Personal counseling that is holistic and solution-focused with outside referrals provided for longer-term needs.
- Academic guidance, including support in executive functioning skills and referrals to tutors (both internal peer tutors and external professional tutors).
- Coordination of accommodations plans for students with documented learning disabilities and/or health issues.
- Attendance support, including communication with students, parents, and families around pre-arranged, extended, or excessive absences.
- Coordination of the Peer Mentoring program, which pairs 11th- and 12th-grade leaders with the 9th-grade homerooms to assist the new students with their transition into high school.
- Coordination of the Advanced Placement (AP) program.